This pastry was our Baking Partner's challenge for this month and as always enjoyed doing each every steps. This takes different stages to have a delicious and yummy chocolate layers of cake filled with Chocolate glaze and silky smooth chocolate mousse. Chocolate lovers will be the die hard fan for this pastry. This is actually a Hungarian dessert and also a romantic love story behind it. Below have given the detailed recipe and enjoy doing it as i did.
For Chocolate Sponge Cake:
Flour - 2 ½ tbsp
Cocoa powder - 1 tbsp
Butter plus a little extra for greasing - 5 tablespoon
Chopped chocolate - 1/4 cup
Eggs - 3, @ room temperature and separated
Sugar - 3 tbsp
Salt - 1/8 tsp
Chopped Chocolate - 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp
Butter - 1 tbsp
Light corn syrup - 1 tbsp
Vanilla extract - 1/4 tsp
Chocolate Mousse Filling:
Cocoa powder - 3/4 tbsp
Powdered sugar - 3 tbsp
Chopped Chocolate - 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp
Heavy cream - 3/4 cup + 1 tbsp
Gelatin - 3/4 tsp
Cold water - 1 tbsp
Boiling water - 1 tbsp
Vanilla extract - 1/2 tsp
Apricot jam - 1 tbsp
Water - 1/4 cup
- Preheat the oven @ 180'C.
- Line an 8 inch square pan with parchment paper and brush it with melted butter.
- In a bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder and flour.
- In another bowl, add the chopped chocolate along with butter. Melt them using double boiler or microwave. Melt them till the mixture is smooth and velvety. Set it aside to cool.
- Whip the egg yolks until pale and fluffy.Add half the sugar and whip till well incorporated and the texture should be a dropping consistency.
- Fold in the cooled chocolate-butter mixture.
- Now whip the egg yolks to soft peaks.Add salt and remaining sugar and continue to whisk until we reach the soft peak.
- Combine ⅓ of the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture. Combine them well and gently fold in the rest of the the whites mix in two batches.
- Next fold in the flour-cocoa mixture and pour the batter into the cake pan and bake for 12-15 minutes or till a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove the parchment paper from cake and set it to cool.
- While the cake is cooling down, lets start making the chocolate glaze.
- For preparing the chocolate glaze , combine all the ingredients except vanilla in a small bowl.
- You can either melt the chocolate using double boiler method or by microwave.
- When the chocolate and butter is completely melted, stir in the vanilla.
- Combine them well to have a smooth chocolate glaze.
- If require trim the edges of the sponge cake to have a even size of the cake and then pour the glaze over the cake. Spread them evenly using a spatula.
- Refrigerate the cake for 30-45 minutes for the glaze to set.
Chocolate Mousse filling :
- For preparing the chocolate mousse , firstly add 1 tablespoon cold water to gelatin and let it rest for 5 minutes. Then add 1 tablespoon of boiling water into the gelatin.
- In a small bowl, combine the cocoa powder and the powdered sugar.
- In a separate bowl, melt the chocolate pieces with 1 tablespoon heavy cream using any method of your choice until the consistency is completely smooth.Cool this until warm.
- In a medium sized bowl, pour the heavy whipping cream, vanilla and whip the cream mixture just until soft peaks. Then add cocoa - sugar mixture and combine them well.
- Finally , add the melted chocolate and quickly whisk them until well combined.
- For preparing the apricot glaze mix apricot jam with water.
- Divide the cake into two equal halves.
- Place one cake portion at the bottom and brush the apricot glaze using a pastry brush.
- Spread the chocolate mousse filling as evenly as possible on the cake.
- Place the other half of the cake.When ready to serve,cut into desired size and serve.