Preparing Bagels takes 2 days preparation. I have explained each and every step to be followed to get a chewiest Bagels. This is a challenge given by Swathi Iyer who blogs at Zesty South Indian Kitchen , who coordinates all the activities for all the members of " Baking partners ". I have performed this task well. This is my first challenge.
Preparing the dough :
Honey - 1 tbsp
Active dry yeast - 1.25 tsp
Lukewarm water - 1 cup + 2 tbsp
Bread flour ( or All purpose flour ) - 3.5 cups
Salt - 1.5 tsp
Oil - To grease the parchment paper
Poaching and baking :
Water - 2 to 3 Quarts ( which might exactly equivalent top 8 cups )
Honey - 1.5 tbsp
Baking Soda - 1 tbsp
Salt - 1 tsp
Whilte Sesame seeds (optional)
Melted Butter for brushing
Preparation of Dough :
1. Mix honey, yeast and salt into the lukewarm water. Wait for the yeast for 5-10 minutes in order to dissolve completely.
2. In a separate bowl, combine all purpose flour and yeast. Mix them well to form a dough.
3. Allow the dough to rest for 5 mins. Then knead the dough into a soft dough.
4. Apply some oil to the sides of the bowl and keep the kneaded dough into it.
5. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it rest for an hour.
6. Place the parchment paper on the baking tray and brush some oil.
7. Divide the dough and shape each ball into a Donuts shape.
8. Place each bagel on the tray and apply some oil on top of the bagels.
9. Again wrap the baking tray with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 8-10 hours.
Preparation for Poaching and baking :
1. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees for about 30 mins prior to baking.
2. Go ahead and boil water.Then add honey , baking soda and salt.
3. In other side , we can check for "float test" performed for Bagels. Place one bagel in the water and if it floats , then they are ready to be baked.
4. Drop the Bagels in the simmering liquid. Cook the Bagels for a minute on both sides by flipping over.
5. Remove them from the poaching liquid and again kept back in the tray. Immediately you can drop little sesame seeds of your choice.
6. Bake for 5 minutes on one side and the flip over and the continue to bake for another 5 mins.