Idly rice - 1 cup
Fenugreek seeds - 2 tbsp
Sesame oil (as needed) - 1 tbsp
Salt as needed
Water - 11/2 cup
1. Wash and soak idly rice and fenugreek seeds together in a wide bowl for 3 to 4 hours.
2. Using mixer grinder or wet grinder, grind soaked rice and fenugreek seeds to a fine batter by adding enough water to grind them.
3. After grinding add additional 1 to 1 1/2 cups of water and enough salt to the batter and mix well without any lumps. Consistency of batter should be little watery like appam flour.
4. Heat a wide pan (preferably non stick pan), add ground batter and keep stirring so that no lumps are formed. Keep the flame over medium heat.
5. Continue stirring till the batter gets very thick consistency. Now reduce the flame to low and add a tablespoon of sesame oil ( more if needed). Keep stirring so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pan and consistency should be like a thick ball.
6. In order to check whether it is done or not, dip your finger in a cold water and touch the batter, it should not stick in your fingers. Healthy vendhaya kali is ready to serve.
7. Serve hot with Palm jaggery.